Seriously though, The. Best.
I have extremely fond memories of making apple pies with my grandmother. I remember how she would peel the entire apple in one fell swoop with her old-as-dirt paring knife. I remember how she would core the apples with her equally-as-old apple corer. And, I remember how she would cut each apple slice exactly the same -- about 6mm thick or so.
Just the smell of a peeled Pippin apple brings back so many fond memories. And so I impart this recipe unto you and your family. May your memories be just as vivid.
- Recipe for a 9 inch double pie crust (or, as I do, 2 Marie Callender's deep dish pie crusts found in the freezer section)
- 8 Pippin Apples -- peeled, cored, and cut into slices about 6-8mm thick
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 425 degree Fahrenheit.
- Peel, core, and slice your Pippin apples. Set aside in a large bowl.
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Add the flour to form a paste. Add the white sugar, brown sugar and water (as a side note, I always put a couple extra tablespoons of both white sugar and brown sugar to make it extra yummy). Add a bold amount of cinnamon and nutmeg -- I give a good 10 shakes of each. Believe you me, you cannot overdue the cinnamon or the nutmeg. Bring sauce to a boil, and then quickly reduce to a simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour 95% of sauce into bowl containing sliced apples. Use a spatula to fold the apples in the bowl, making sure every slice is covered in sauce. Set aside the remaining 5% of sauce.
- Carefully pour coated apples into bottom pie crust, making sure to create a dome with all the apples.
- Carefully, cover the dome of apples with the top pie crust. Cut 6 slits on the top for venting. Take the remaining 5% of sauce and gently pour over the top crust. Spread evenly with a pastry brush.
- Place the pie on a large cookie sheet to prevent boiling sauce from dripping to bottom of oven (this can create some major smoke and a funky smell).
- Bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees. Reduce the temperature to 350 for the remaining 35-40 minutes, or until sauce is bubbling out of pie and the top crust is a beautiful golden brown.
- Let set for 20 minutes to allow for pie to cool and sauce to thicken.